The library catalogue offers a wide selection of over 5,000 books available for borrowing from our online database, with a strong emphasis on the college’s courses relevant topics, such as Business & Economics, and Culinary Arts & Hospitality.
The library’s main objectives are to provide a regularly updated collection of books for students to expand their knowledge & research capabilities, as well as providing studying facilities, such as a quiet reading area fully equipped with computers and dedicated study rooms.
Students also have access to electronic databases such as EBSCOhost and Emerald Journals, links for which can be found on our E-class platform: https://eclass.cityu.ac.cy/
You can visit our online catalogue using this link
College Librarian: Theofilos Petrou.
Library hours Monday – Tuesday 9:00am – 17:00pm. Wednesday – Friday 8:00-16:00
The library is supervised and supported by the Library committee, which is composed by one representative of each Academic Department and the librarian.
The members of the library committee are:
- Theofilos Petrou, Librarian
- Georgia Mouzoura, Business and Economics department
- George Markatos, Hospitality department
- One Student Union representative
The duties of the committee are:
- To allocate funds from the college’s budget in order to purchase relevant textbooks, journals and online database subscriptions.
- To provide liaison between the academic faculty and the Library administration in regards to various library matters
- To approve library policies and regulations regarding the proper function of the library
- To call meetings regarding the library’s function, after any member of the committee submits an approved proposal
- To Represent teaching and research interests as they relate to the library.
- To Promote library role and enhances its effectiveness in the educational process.
- To advice and supports on collection, facility, service policies and hiring needs; new initiatives; and on most effective means to communicate with various constituencies.
- Prepares reports to do with academic issues and submits them to the Academic Director
The college librarian is responsible for:
- Supervision and maintenance of the library facilities and rule keeping
- Making proposals of library budget allocation in regards to facilities, equipment and book orders
- Liaising between academic staff and library
- Representing the library at conferences and at various institutions
- Helping students locate and borrow textbooks
- Cataloguing new books
- Registered students at CUCN, personnel and lecturers as well as external users have the right to use the library. The members of the City Unity College Nicosia library need to bring their library card in order to have the right to use the library services. The library reserves the right to refuse entry to those who do not comply with library regulations.
- The library is a quiet area for study. Mobiles should be put on silent and conversations reduced to a minimum. Phones should only be used outside the library.
- No smoking, eating or drinking is allowed in the library.
- The user is required to pay for any damage or loss of library materials.
- Readers may bring their own books or other materials related to their studies.
- Books should not be put back on the shelves but left on the desks for re-shelving.
The library offers one main study area and two separate study rooms that also function as computer centers with 23 computers where the students of CUCN have access to the Internet for research purposes and to check their emails. The use of the Internet is free for all library users. A printer is also available for use by the students using their student ID cards.
The library opening ours are:
The Library is closed during the official public holidays, while during the summer season a special schedule is applied. For further information, please contact the Librarians.
Registered students at CUCN, personnel and lecturers as well as external users have the right to use the library. The members of the City Unity College Nicosia library need to bring their library card in order to have the right to use the library services.
To become a library member, students should bring their valid student ID. After filling in the registration form supplied by the circulation librarian, the student ID serves as a library card. Users need to ensure that they familiarize themselves with the library regulations and inform the librarians of any change in their address, other personal information or loss of the library card. The library card is only for personal use and should not be given to anyone else.
Library privileges are granted to students for one semester, after which they are requested to renew their membership. Personnel may use the library until they leave their employment. Students’ borrower privileges are suspended with the end of their enrolment at the College. If they want to continue the use of the library, they need to register as external users.
External users are all residents of the community who wish to register in order to use the library. To obtain the right to borrow books and use the library facilities, they need to bring an ID card and a photograph and fill in the required registration form. In addition to this, they are required to pay an annual fee of €15.00 with option of a yearly renewal.
At CUCN Library we use the Koha Library Software. Koha is a fully featured, scalable open-source library management system. Development is sponsored by libraries of varying types and sizes, volunteers, and support companies worldwide.
The services the library supplies through KOHA are as follows:
- Recording the check in and check out of books
- The cataloguing of library material
- The ability to search for the catalogued material
- The preparation of reports
- Printouts and labels